In a recent post, we listed five reasons to implement the Internet of Things in industrial applications. They were:
1. Most economical way of gathering data.
2. Can be implemented in stages.
3. Can cost-effectively scale from very small to the largest installations.
4. Information from IoT devices can be supplied quickly to those who need it.
5. IoT devices can be continuous, scheduled, or event-triggered data sources.
Here are the leading reasons IoT implementers should consider the use of wireless for gathering data from sensors.
1. Wireless is a mainstream mature technology.
2. Often more cost effective than hard wiring.
3. Quicker to install.
4. Offers the ultimate in flexibility to add/change/remove devices.
5. No maintenance of wiring infrastructure required.
6. IT-oriented format can leverage in-house knowledge.
7. Handles many common protocols.
8. Empowers a reliable data source.
Watch for our upcoming post that will discuss implementation details for wireless IoT installations, both greenfield and retrofit.